-
August 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I have had the Model 14 beauties since birth in 1982, their birth not mine .. lol. It appears my step son thought they could handle 15,000 watts .. well needless to say the cones have all detached. My 20 + years of oiling the wood & babying them down the drain .. enough crying!!
Are these woofers replaceable with a perfect fit to the Altec Lansing Model 14 or are they done! God I sure hope not. I'm in Canada, any ideas where I might find two proper replacements & at what approximate cost?
I sure hope there's some good news out there.
Mike
[email protected]
-
August 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Contact Bill at GPA and he can probably recone your woofers and remag them if they are Alnicos. He also might advise on rebuilding the other old components that have suffered abuse as well. There might also be an upgrade on the crossover from Iconic. Do post on how you make out.
GREAT PLAINS AUDIO ?
7127 NORTHWEST THIRD ST.
OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA 73127
Telephone: (405) 789-0221
[email protected]
-
August 5th, 2004, 08:31 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Studio477,
I would like to second what Dave wrote. Other re-coners may be able to recone your speakers, but you really need to talk to GPA. Here's a quote from Todd White, board moderator, that was posted in the past to document GPA's qualifications to work with Altec:
"If you want REAL Altec-made parts, the sad truth is that there aren't any to speak of. BUT - Great Plains Audio, which is owned and operated by former Altec employees, owns all of Altec's tooling, and manufactures parts that are IDENTICAL to the Altec-made ones in EVERY WAY. The reason is because they ARE the same parts
as these people built when they all worked for Altec, BUT Great Plains Audio is run by honest people, and, therefore, does not represent their products as being NOS Altec-made parts - but that's the ONLY difference between the older parts and theirs!" ...Todd W. White, January 13, 2003.
(I may have lost the italics and bold formatting in the cut and paste.)
-
August 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Thanks guys for the quick response .. I will follow up & see what the costs might be like .. I really hate to loose these beautiful speakers
Mike
-
August 5th, 2004, 11:59 PM
#5
HB Forum Owner
Sometimes, Bill can save the cones & voice coils and just replace the foam surrounds.
He did this for my Altec Model 6, Series II's, and they work GREAT!
-
August 6th, 2004, 12:00 AM
#6
Inactive Member
GPA does quality work, and at reasonable prices, contact Bill, and he will be the best solution!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks